Honestly, writing about the martini is tricky, probably even foolhardy (Side bar: apparently Tolkien’s name comes from an old German word, tollkhun, meaning foolhardy, feel free to use that info to get into someone’s pants, you’re welcome). People can be fanatical about this drink and their views about it tend to be written in stone. There’s usually little room for discussion, and conversations can become downright vicious if martinistas feel their beliefs have been challenged in any way. Kinda like politics, but with more relevance. Personally I wonder whatever happened to sip and let sip. I’m a damn hippie I guess.
TL;DR? Just drink it.
- Ice cubes into a tall narrowish glass, be generous
- 1.5 ounces Campari
- 1.5 ounces sweet vermouth
- Few drops of cocktail bitters, less is more, Angostura’s orange is especially nice
- Top with soda water to taste
- Garnish with an orange wheel or expressed lemon peel (optional)
- Stir very briefly (keep them bubbles)
There’s no scuba diving in sight for the immediate future. I had the opportunity to go dive in a quarry, in Mohawk territory, but my bad social planning skills intervened. So instead of glorious but cold ass underwater vistas, brace yourselves for a short series on…. you know it , drinks, and probably some random thoughts to go with that.